Wednesday, June 3, 2009

How do you do it?

If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me how I survived med school AND had four kids I'd be rich. I'd be able to pay off my student loans and wouldn't be going back to my office at 8pm (after the last one is tucked in for the night) to do charts until 11pm. I'm not sure "how" I did it, it really wasn't a conscious decision back in 1998.

My first baby was a surprise. Two days before I was set to start medical school I had a funny feeling that I was pregnant. We had been married just 3 months and were going to start our family after we figured out how medical school worked. When would be the right time to have kids during the chaos of studying and residency training? An unexpected ovarian cyst and change of birth control pills took the decision out of our hands when that Saturday morning we saw the "pink line". Newlywed and heading into the most challenging school of my life I was overwhelmed by the thoughts of also becoming a mother. I quickly learned they wouldn't kick me out of school and low and behold there were three other girls in the class ahead of me who had just had babies or also expecting. Although I am certainly not the only one to balance the amazing challenges of medical school and motherhood my journey over the past ten years has certainly left me with amazing stories. Stories of triumph and defeat, stories of contentment and guilt, stories that I'm constantly asked to share. So this is my attempt to share the journey over the last ten years at becoming a physician, my childhood dream and also becoming a mother the most incredible love any human can endure. My daily life now is also filled with a similar chaos as anyone could imagine as I continue to balance the demanding career and needs of four amazing children.

No comments:

Post a Comment